Quinoa is really trendy now, but besides that, it is pretty healthy. I tried to make it a few times by itself and it just wasn’t good to me. I’ve been seeing a lot of healthy recipes that have it and one of my closest friends always talks about how good it is so I figured I would try it again.
I bought this brand from WalMart:
I used this recipe and amended it just a tad.
Here’s how I made it:
- 1 lb already cooked shrimp
- 1 cup of quinoa
- A few broccoli florets
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tblsp Olive oil
- Butter to melt and pour on top when done (with dash of crushed red pepper)
- 2 Teaspoons of garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
1. Heat non-stick pan with olive oil, add garlic and onion powder, stir for 1 minute. Add quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Then, add chicken broth and let it cook for 15-20. I added my shrimp and broccoli in mid way through cooking.
Check the dish periodically to make sure the quinoa is becoming fluffy. After about 15-20 it should be done. Melt butter, add crushed red pepper (or whatever season you choose) and pour it over the quinoa.
And it’s ready to eat! I was really surprised at how good this dish was. It reminded me of fried rice and I loooove asian food so I’ll probably be making it a lot more.